CHRISTINE R. NORSTADT
Christine Norstadt focuses her practice on commercial real estate transactions and litigation. She is a founding team member of Pursley Friese Torgrimson.
Christine’s clients include owners, managers and users of all types of commercial real estate, including office, retail and industrial properties.
Her transactional practice includes leading commercial real estate closings, negotiating commercial leases for landlords and tenants, and facilitating general corporate real estate transactions and commercial foreclosures. Her litigation practice includes quiet title proceedings, lease enforcement litigation, post-foreclosure litigation, as well as federal collections litigation for the FDIC.
Prior to Pursley Friese Torgrimson, Christine practiced commercial real estate law with Friese Legal LLC for more than three years, building on nearly seven previous years of experience working with commercial real estate businesses and real property owners.
Christine is a graduate of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Atlanta Division’s Center for Leadership (CFL), a year-long program designed to cultivate leadership and strategy skills for emerging leaders in metro-Atlanta and has served as an advisory board member for ULI Atlanta.
Christine earned her law degree from Emory University School of Law. While at Emory, she served as an executive board member and managing editor of the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal. In 2009, the State Bar of Georgia Real Property Law Section recognized her as an exemplary real property law student, an annual award reserved for only one individual from each of Georgia’s law schools. She also holds a bachelor of science degree in International Affairs from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- COMMERCIAL CLOSINGS:
- COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE LEASING:
- REAL ESTATE LITIGATION:
- SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
- PUBLISHED WORK:
Representative Closing Matters
- Individual real estate investor representation includes transactions such as cash acquisition of national single tenant NNN leased retail property and acquisition of gas station property in South Georgia, acquisition of office building with cell tower lease in Gwinnett County, 1031 exchange acquisition of commercial retail center in Clayton County, acquisition of raw land in DeKalb County, acquisition of partially improved building pads within an office condominium and acquisition of declarant rights within said condominium in Cobb County
- Regional real estate investor representation includes representing buyer/borrower in the purchase and financing of Class A office building in Gwinnett County, and acquisition, financing and re-financing of various apartment complexes throughout the metro area
- National real estate investor representation includes serving as local counsel to investor and negotiating loan documents in connection with refinancing of investor’s portfolio of five light industrial/office properties throughout the metro area, serving as local counsel in connection with investor’s acquisition of various light industrial parks in Gwinnett County, serving as local counsel in connection with investor’s acquisition of raw land and subsequent development for industrial warehouse use in Savannah, Georgia, including subdivision process and negotiation of access, utility and drainage easements
- Represented a local real estate investor in the disposition of a single tenant office building
- Represented a local real estate investor in the disposition of a multi tenant office building
- Local counsel to national real estate investor in the disposition of multiple multi-tenant office and industrial properties
- Seller representation includes representation in connection with disposition of single tenant and multi-tenant office properties, office condominiums, light industrial properties and apartment complexes through the metro area and southeast
- Prepared and negotiated office lease in Norcross, Georgia worth in excess of $6.5 million over a 10 year term, including negotiating the work letter to protect the landlord’s interests during the tenant’s build-out.
- Prepared and negotiated office leases in Marietta, Georgia for local real estate investor landlord, including negotiating with tenant with regard to delivery date in light of an uncertain completion timeline for landlord’s initial build out of the premises.
- Prepared and negotiated billboard ground lease in Marietta, Georgia
- Prepared and negotiated all leases for 7-suite 16,200 sq. ft. medical office building in Lithia Springs, Georgia, including leases to accommodate physicians in an office share arrangement.
- Prepared and negotiated various term extension amendments for medical office building on behalf of a court-appointed receiver in Duluth, Georgia.
- Negotiated leases in 32 states across the U.S.
- Negotiated industrial lease for flagship distribution and office node for Fortune 100 company’s operations in San Leandro, California valued at $1.3 million over a seven year term, including negotiating the tenant’s work letter for substantial build-out.
- Negotiated office lease for gym operator in Midtown, Atlanta, which required review and analysis of condominium documents and negotiation with the condominium association to ensure client’s legal use of the property.
- Negotiated a 15,000 sq. ft. office lease in Maitland, FL on behalf of a publicly traded tenant.
- Negotiated a 24,000 sq. ft. expansion and 10,600 sq. ft. expansion in Duluth, Georgia on behalf of a publicly traded tenant
Collections and Evictions
- Obtained a $1.3 million judgment in Fulton County State Court against a defaulting tenant of a local shopping center.
- Foreclosed and evicted high-profile tenant in default from a 14-acre, multi-building campus in Lithonia, Georgia, prevailing against the tenant’s efforts to avoid eviction through filing multiple bankruptcies and appeals.
- Assisted landlord with collection of several thousand dollars of past due rent owing from defaulting tenant with no personal guaranty of lease in place.
- Won a $3.4 million judgment in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against 3 defendants on 4 separate promissory notes to a failed lending institution.
- Won a $4.5 million judgement in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
- Obtained a $2.3 million judgment in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
- Won a $550,000 summary judgment in U.S. District Court, North District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
Quiet Title and Other Real Estate Related Litigation
- Represented a group of heirs in action to quiet title for 36 acres in Superior Court of Jones County.
- Prevailed at contested foreclosure sale confirmation action in Henry County Superior Court, which involved proving fair market value of foreclosed property using the discounted cash flow method of valuation; obtained subsequent deficiency judgment against guarantors of the loan.
- Assisted in successful defense of lender which took title to property by foreclosure against a quiet title action and challenge to foreclosure sale filed by borrower.
- Presented at the “Summer School Lunch & Learn” hosted by Stream Realty Partners, ASD, and Crocker Partners on June 19, 2013 with managing partners Stephanie Friese Aron and Christian Torgrimson. The presentation addressed 1) Gross Up Provisions; 2) Landlord-Friendly LOI and Lease Proposal Suggested Language; 3) Special Notes to Both Landlords and Tenants; 4) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Property Owner or Manager Receives a Notice of Taking on the Property; and 5) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Tenant Receives Notice of Taking on the Property
- Panelist, Current Trends in Today’s Retail Market, Atlanta Commercial Board of Realtors Expert Series CE Program, August 28, 2012
Co-Presenter with Managing Partner Stephanie Friese
- How to Avoid Lease Mistakes, presentation to Stream Realty Partners, May 25, 2011
- Presentation to PM Realty, June 17, 2011
- The Rundown on Avoiding Tenant Runarounds – How to Help Your Client Realize More Value from Leases, presentation to Resource Real Estate Partners, June 28, 2011
- Tips and Tactics in Tricky Times – A Guide For Receivers and Managers of Distressed Real Estate, presentation to GlassRatner Management and Realty Advisors, August 17, 2011
- Top Ten Mistakes in Commercial Leasing and How to Avoid Them – presentation at Stream Realty Partners’ “Back To School” event, September 14, 2011
- Article, “Back to School: Easements 101” The Network, June 2017
- Article, “Does Your Work Letter Work For You?,” The Network, December 2016
- Article, “Survey Says: A Land Survey Says Volumes,” The Network, August 2016;
- Article, “Abandonment: Best Practice Tips for Treatment of Abandoned Personal Property,” The Network, March 2016
- Article, “Association Issues in Property Transfers,” The Network, September 2015
- Article, “Understanding Gross Ups and Expense Caps,” The Network, June 2015