CHRISTINE R. NORSTADT
Christine Norstadt focuses her practice on commercial real estate transactions and litigation. She is a founding team member of Pursley Friese Torgrimson.
Christine’s clients include owners, managers and users of all types of commercial real estate, including office, retail and industrial properties.
Her transactional practice includes negotiating commercial leases for landlords and tenants, leading commercial real estate closings, and facilitating general corporate real estate transactions and commercial foreclosures. Her litigation practice includes lease enforcement litigation, post-foreclosure litigation, as well as federal collections litigation for the FDIC.
Prior to Pursley Friese Torgrimson, Christine practiced commercial real estate law with Friese Legal LLC for more than three years, building on nearly seven previous years of experience working with commercial real estate businesses and real property owners.
In 2011, Christine completed the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Center for Leadership (CFL), a year-long program designed to cultivate leadership and strategy skills for emerging leaders in metro-Atlanta. Christine currently co-chairs the Technical Assistance Panel (mTAP) component of the ULI-CFL program for the 2012-2013 class and serves on the ULI TAPs committee. She is also a past president of the Georgia Tech Bar Association.
Christine earned her law degree from Emory University School of Law. While at Emory, she served as an executive board member and managing editor of the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal. In 2009, the State Bar of Georgia Real Property Law Section recognized her as an exemplary real property law student, an annual award reserved for only one individual from each of Georgia’s law schools. She also holds a bachelor of science degree in International Affairs from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE LEASING:
- COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE ACQUISITIONS AND DISPOSITIONS:
- REAL ESTATE LITIGATION:
- SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
- Prepared and negotiated office lease in Norcross, Georgia worth in excess of $6.5 million over a 10 year term, including negotiating the work letter to protect the landlord’s interests during the tenant’s build-out.
- Prepared and negotiated office leases in Marietta, Georgia for local real estate investor landlord, including negotiating with tenant with regard to delivery date in light of an uncertain completion timeline for landlord’s initial build out of the premises.
- Prepared and negotiated billboard ground lease in Marietta, Georgia
- Prepared and negotiated all leases for 7-suite 16,200 sq. ft. medical office building in Lithia Springs, Georgia, including leases to accommodate physicians in an office share arrangement.
- Prepared and negotiated various term extension amendments for medical office building on behalf of a court-appointed receiver in Duluth, Georgia.
- Negotiated leases in 32 states across the U.S.
- Negotiated industrial lease for flagship distribution and office node for Fortune 100 company’s operations in San Leandro, California valued at $1.3 million over a seven year term, including negotiating the tenant’s work letter for substantial build-out.
- Negotiated office lease for gym operator in Midtown, Atlanta, which required review and analysis of condominium documents and negotiation with the condominium association to ensure client’s legal use of the property.
- Negotiated a 15,000 sq. ft. office lease in Maitland, FL on behalf of a publicly traded tenant.
- Negotiated a 24,000 sq. ft. expansion and 10,600 sq. ft. expansion in Duluth, Georgia on behalf of a publicly traded tenant
- Represented a regional real estate investor in purchase of two multi-million dollar apartment complexes with more than 600 units.
- Represented a local real estate investor in the disposition of a single tenant office building
- Represented an individual real estate investor in the purchase of a national single tenant NNN leased retail building.
- Represented a real estate investor in purchase of industrial warehouse facility in Savannah, Georgia.
Collections and Evictions
- Obtained a $1.3 million judgment in Fulton County State Court against a defaulting tenant of a local shopping center.
- Foreclosed and evicted high-profile tenant in default from a 14-acre, multi-building campus in Lithonia, Georgia, prevailing against the tenant’s efforts to avoid eviction through filing multiple bankruptcies and appeals.
- Assisted landlord with collection of several thousand dollars of past due rent owing from defaulting tenant with no personal guaranty of lease in place.
- Won a $3.4 million judgment in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against 3 defendants on 4 separate promissory notes to a failed lending institution.
- Won a $4.5 million judgement in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
- Obtained a $2.3 million judgment in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
- Won a $550,000 summary judgment in U.S. District Court, North District of Georgia, against maker of a promissory note to a failed lending institution.
Quiet Title and Other Real Estate Related Litigation
- Represented a group of heirs in action to quiet title for 36 acres in Superior Court of Jones County.
- Prevailed at contested foreclosure sale confirmation action in Henry County Superior Court, which involved proving fair market value of foreclosed property using the discounted cash flow method of valuation; obtained subsequent deficiency judgment against guarantors of the loan.
- Assisted in successful defense of lender which took title to property by foreclosure against a quiet title action and challenge to foreclosure sale filed by borrower.
- Presented at the “Summer School Lunch & Learn” hosted by Stream Realty Partners, ASD, and Crocker Partners on June 19, 2013 with managing partners Stephanie Friese Aron and Christian Torgrimson. The presentation addressed 1) Gross Up Provisions; 2) Landlord-Friendly LOI and Lease Proposal Suggested Language; 3) Special Notes to Both Landlords and Tenants; 4) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Property Owner or Manager Receives a Notice of Taking on the Property; and 5) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Tenant Receives Notice of Taking on the Property
- Panelist, Current Trends in Today’s Retail Market, Atlanta Commercial Board of Realtors Expert Series CE Program, August 28, 2012
Co-Presenter with Managing Partner Stephanie Friese
- How to Avoid Lease Mistakes, presentation to Stream Realty Partners, May 25, 2011
- Presentation to PM Realty, June 17, 2011
- The Rundown on Avoiding Tenant Runarounds – How to Help Your Client Realize More Value from Leases, presentation to Resource Real Estate Partners, June 28, 2011
- Tips and Tactics in Tricky Times – A Guide For Receivers and Managers of Distressed Real Estate, presentation to GlassRatner Management and Realty Advisors, August 17, 2011
- Top Ten Mistakes in Commercial Leasing and How to Avoid Them – presentation at Stream Realty Partners’ “Back To School” event, September 14, 2011