CHRISTIAN F. TORGRIMSON
Christian F. Torgrimson helps her business and real estate clients obtain the just compensation guaranteed to them by the Constitution when the government condemns private property. As a founding and managing partner of Pursley Friese Torgrimson, Christian focuses on helping her clients navigate the complexities of a condemnation, minimizing the impacts caused by a taking and maximizing compensation for her clients.
She has litigated eminent domain proceedings, private property disputes, and other real-estate-related matters for 15 years. Christian represents a wide spectrum of property owners and interests, including large and small businesses, mixed-use and shopping center developers, corporations, hotel operators and owners, c-store and gasoline company tenants, operators and owners, restaurant franchisors and franchisees, as well as individual homeowners. She brings extensive experience to all aspects of eminent domain proceedings brought by state, county and local governments throughout Georgia, including jury trials, mediations, acquisitions and closings, and special master hearings.
She is the Georgia editor and writes the chapter for the national eminent domain compendium, Law and Procedure of Eminent Domain in the Fifty States, published by the American Bar Association. She is a past chair of the Eminent Domain Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and is active in the ABA Section of Litigation’s Real Estate Litigation and Condemnation Committee. A respected national speaker on Georgia eminent domain law, Christian frequently writes and speaks on condemnation issues for various professional organizations.
As an experienced eminent domain attorney, Christian has been selected by her peers for inclusion in Super Lawyers Magazine’s Georgia Super Lawyers and Georgia Rising Stars; Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite; Atlanta Women’s Magazine’s Leader in Law and Fulton County Daily Report’s On the Rise. In 2014, Christian was recognized as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Georgia and one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Georgia by Super Lawyers Magazine.
As a past president of the Georgia Association for Women Lawyers (GAWL), Christian served on GAWL’s executive board for more than 10 years. She was instrumental in creating the GAWL Foundation in 2003, serving as its founding president for two years.
Christian earned her law degree from Emory University School of Law, and her bachelor’s degree cum laude from the University of South Carolina.
- Resolved the condemnation of a commercial shopping center for more than double the original offer, resulting in a settlement prior to the filing of litigation.
- Successfully negotiated access rights, easement rights and compensation for a commercial office building in a condemnation matter prior to litigation.
- Secured relocation compensation for bail bonding business in condemnation action brought by the GDOT for an amount 25 times greater than original offer.
- Secured compensation for damage to an easement owned by a telecommunications tower as a part of a GDOT project in condemnation action in which no offer was made to the tower owner.
- Settled a condemnation case involving the taking and damaging of three separate commercial parcels for two and a half times the original offer.
- Obtained $1.678 million jury verdict in favor of client for partial taking and damaging of gas station and C-store station by Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), representing 539% above the original offer.
- Secured a $19.5 million settlement of a condemnation case brought by the GDOT involving mixed use development property, along with a new driveway cut on a limited access street.
- Negotiated a settlement for business value of four times the original offer in a condemnation case for the full taking of a franchise fast food restaurant by the GDOT.
- Secured a $1.0 million settlement during the jury trial of a condemnation case by the GDOT involving an office building development, representing an 850% increase above the original offer.
- Negotiated a settlement for land value of more than double the original offer in the partial taking of land from a retail shopping center for a county water tower project.
- Obtained an $11.0 million jury verdict in favor of client for the taking of a hotel site by the GDOT, representing a 150% increase above the original offer.
- Obtained a $5.9 million jury verdict in favor of high-end automobile dealership client for appraised property and business value against the GDOT, representing a 450% increase above the original offer.
- Secured a jury verdict as first chair in favor of client for fully appraised property value, and successfully represented client in subsequent appeals before the Georgia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented MARTA in case challenging a transit oriented development project involving public use and private enterprise features before the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Successfully arbitrated as first chair a lawsuit involving the breakup of a limited liability partnership before the American Arbitration Association.
- Moderator at Real Estate Bisnow’s Second Annual Atlanta Construction and Development Summit in Atlanta – February 19, 2014
- Panelist on mentoring panel at the Georgia Association for Women Lawyers’ “The Leader Within” CLE – January 28, 2014
- Faculty presenter on “Core Valuation Concepts” at ALI-CLE’s “Condemnation 101: How To Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case” an annual national eminent domain conference in New Orleans – January 23-25, 2014
- Presented at the “Summer School Lunch & Learn” hosted by Stream Realty Partners, ASD, and Crocker Partners on June 19, 2013 with managing partner Stephanie Friese Aron and attorney Christine Norstadt. The presentation addressed 1) Gross Up Provisions; 2) Landlord-Friendly LOI and Lease Proposal Suggested Language; 3) Special Notes to Both Landlords and Tenants; 4) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Property Owner or Manager Receives a Notice of Taking on the Property; and 5) Top Ten List of Things to do When: A Tenant Receives Notice of Taking on the Property
- Speaker, “Navigating Recovery of Damages for the Business Owner In A Condemnation,” The Fulton County Daily Report In-House Counsel Seminar, March 2013
- Speaker, “How to Attack or Defend Comparable Sales: Condemnee’s Perspective,” American Law Institute CLE’s Comdemnation 101: How to Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case, January 24, 2013, Miami, FL
- Speaker, “Preparation for an Order of Taking: Condemnee Viewpoint,” American Law Institute CLE’s Comdemnation 101: How to Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case, January 24, 2013, Miami, FL
- Speaker, Condemnation 101: Winning the High Ground with Fundamentals of Eminent Domain Valuation and Trial Practice, 7th Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study, January 2012, San Diego, CA
- Speaker, Lunch and Learn on Condemnation, Forensic Valuation Section, Georgia Society of CPAs, April 2011, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker, Condemnation Laws and Practice Across the Fifty States, State Bar of Georgia Eminent Domain Section Annual Seminar, March 2011, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker, Condemnation 101: Making the Complex Simple in Eminent Domain – Strategic Discovery and How the Case Was Won panels, 6th Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study, February 2011, Miami, FL
- Speaker, Litigation Workshop, Atlanta Consumer Bankruptcy Skills Training, February 2010, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker, Setting the Table: Trial Proofs and Strategy in Condemnation and De Facto Takings Claims, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, April 2009, Atlanta, GA
- Panel Moderator and Speaker, Eminent Domain: Dispelling the Myths–the 411 on the Condemnation Process in Georgia, Commercial Real Estate for Women (CREW), May 2007, Atlanta, GA
- Real Estate Litigation and Condemnation Blog In Limine featured “The Five “C”s of a Partial Taking Case” – co-authored with Attorney Elizabeth Story
- ABA article, SCOTUS Confirms Temporary Flooding Is Compensable Taking, ABA Section of Litigation- Condemnation, Zoning & Land Use: News & Developments, May 30, 2013 – co-authored with Attorney Elizabeth Story
- Seminar paper, “How to Attack or Defend Comparable Sales: Condemnee’s Perspective,” ALI-CLE Course of Study, Condemnation 101: How to Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case, January 2013 – co-authored with Attorney Elizabeth Story
- Seminar paper, “Preparation for an Order of Taking: Condemnee Viewpoint,” ALI-CLE Course of Study, Condemnation 101: How to Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case, January 2013 – co-authored with Attorney Elizabeth Story
- Seminar Paper, “Strategic Discovery: A Plan and Purpose for Requesting Documents and Other Discovery,” 7th Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study, Condemnation 101: Winning the High Ground with Fundamentals of Eminent Domain Valuation and Trial Practice, January 2012
- Article, “The Case for Recovery of Business Loss in the Taking of Real Property,” for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation’s Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Litigation Committee, Winter 2011; and for the State Bar of Georgia Real Property Law Section, Summer 2011
- Seminar Paper, “Condemnation Laws and Practice Across the Fifty States,” State Bar of Georgia Eminent Domain Section’s Annual Seminar, March 2011
- Seminar Paper, “Problems with Proofs and Juries in Condemnation Cases“ for 6th Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study, Condemnation 101: Making the Complex Simple in Eminent Domain, February 2011
- Seminar Paper, “Thoughts on Trying Real Property Claims in Nuisance, Trespass, Inverse Condemnation and Condemnation,” co-authored with Jeffrey Pollock, for ABA Section of Litigation’s Mid-Year Meeting, April 2009
- Article, “What is the Highest and Best Use of Wetlands? Think Mitigation,” State Bar of Georgia Eminent Domain Section newsletter, January 2008
- Seminar paper “Consequential Damages and Business Damage: Can the Cost Ever Be Cured?” State Bar of Georgia Eminent Domain Section Annual Seminar and Trial Practice CLE, January 2005, Atlanta, GA
- Seminar paper “Banning Video Poker Machines: Unconstitutional Taking Without Just Compensation or Protecting the Public from the ‘Crack Cocaine’ of Gambling?” State Bar of Georgia Eminent Domain Section Annual Seminar and Trial Practice CLE, January 2002, Atlanta, GA
- Commercial Real Estate Women Atlanta recently selected Torgrimson to its exclusive leadership program for 2014
- GAWL Spotlights Torgrimson as the 2013 Debra Bernes Community Service Award Recipient
- Featured in “Pursley Friese Torgrimson Talks About Eminent Domain with Atlanta Real Estate Forum Radio, Real Estate Bisnow; Earns Recognition from CREW Atlanta,” on CREReport, September 9, 2013
- Featured in “Past Picks– On The Rise: Rising Lawyers Under 40” in The Daily Report, on August 26, 2013
- Featured on Atlanta Real Estate Forum Radio on August 2, 2013
- Quoted in “Attorney: Regal Forest Apartments in the clear for now” in Clayton News Daily on June 25, 2013
- Quoted in “Morrow residents fight eminent domain” in Clayton News Daily on June 5, 2013
- Featured on WSB-TV 2 “Clayton Co. mulls tearing down apartments to build school” on June 4, 2013
- Featured in “Eminent Domain Lawyer Has a Passion for the Practice” in The Daily Report on September 4, 2009
- Featured in “Torgrimson Leads the Way in Law & Compassion” in Atlanta Woman Magazine on August 27, 2008